/ Credits / Gigs / Songs
Reviews and News - January 2011
(For the review and photos from 1/7/11 Click here)
Note from Nina:
If I had to come up with only one word to describe the Waddy Wachtel Band gig on January 28, it would be........ FANTASTIC! But I’ll still tell you more.
First, I want to let you know:
We don’t know when or where the next WWB gig will be. It’s not our fault. Everyone in WWB wants to Rock It Up with all of you asap. I’ll send you a note in the next day or two with more info.
Now....... about the FANTASTIC gig we had......
So many wonderful Rockers showed up, and we were packed in nicely anticipating a great show when Waddy Wachtel, Phil Jones, Rick Rosas, Brett Tuggle and Jamie Savko hit the stage and blasted through a perfect performance of their first tune “Substitute.” We all knew there’s absolutely no substitute for our favorite band - WWB!!! Things got hot real fast. The way we like it. Just check the set list below. So many great songs played to perfection.
You know whenever Waddy Wachtel has an electric guitar in his hands you’re going to get electrified by a true pro - whether he’s playing rhythm, slide or one of his incredible solos. You can’t help but tingle. Then add vocals - both harmony and lead - and you never want him to stop. Waddy treated us to 3 lead vocals in the second set: Zevon’s “Finishing Touches,” Dylan’s “Just Like A Woman” and a new tune the band hadn’t played for us before - The Stones’ “Live With Me.” Yes, yes and YES!
Phil Jones not only wailed on the drums all night, but gave us a wonderful drum solo on the last tune - Neil Young’s “Rockin’ in the Free World.” Phil doesn’t need to play a looooong solo to make you sit up and take notice. Tasteful Rockin’ - Perfectly done!
Rick Rosas showed why he’s always been in such great demand - not only by us WWBers but by Neil Young, Joe Walsh and many other great composers/players. Rick always delivers, letting his fingers fly over those bass strings and making our hearts pump.
Brett Tuggle can knock out solos and rhythms on guitar and keyboards, switching between them on different tunes, then blow you away with vocals as well. Brett played some great keyboard solos at the gig including really rockin’ ones on “Rip the Joint” and “Hoochie Coochie Man.” Lead vocals? No problem. Wailing on “I Am the Walrus” and delighting all on “Oh Darling.”
Jamie Savko not only thrilled everyone with his lead vocals on many songs - like “Substitute” and “Ruby Tuesday,” but he added perfect harmonies to Keith Allison’s “Only You Know and I Know” and Bernard Fowler’s “Rockin’ in the Free World.” Plus..... many more! What vocal chords!
Keith Allison made everyone want to sing along when he did “C’mon Everybody.” So they did! And there’s nothing like listening to him rock on “Pump It Up.” He always pumps it up for us.
Everyone loves it when Bernard Fowler shows up and puts his mouth to that mic with WWB. He loves it too..... Beautiful smiles and he sings right to your heart. I was sooooo happy to hear him sing “She’s So Cold” again. I gave him a big hug for that one. And finishing the night with “Keep Rockin’ in the Free World”...... He makes you never want to stop rockin’.
Is that all? Nope.
Mindi Abair wowed everyone when she got up on stage with WWB and blew such great sounds from her saxophone. Rockin’ Mindi! Her sax solos blew us away on “All the Way to Memphis” and continued to blow us away on every tune she played. Waddy said: “She’s one of us now.” Yay Mindi!
Lukas Autry Nelson was so very happy to come back on the 28th and thrill us with a song in each set. We were so very happy to have him up there too. Great guitar solos from Lukas on “Hoochie Coochie Man” and “Further On Up the Road.” Great performance and vocals too. And such a sweet dude. You know if someone is up there with Waddy..... they have to Rock. And Lukas does!
A message Waddy gave us at the end of the night:
“Thank you all, you great Rockers, for joining us and helping to make these gigs happen. We couldn’t do it without you. We’ll be back!”
Our message back to Waddy:
“Thank YOU! We’ll be back with you! For sure.
Here’s the set list and some photos.
1. “Substitute” (The Who) Jamie Savko lead vocals; Waddy Wachtel and Brett Tuggle harmony vocals; Brett rhythm guitar
2. "All the Way to Memphis" (Ian Hunter) Brett lead vocals and keyboards; Jamie harmony vocals; Mindi Abair saxophone and harmony vocals
3. “Rip This Joint” (The Rolling Stones) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Brett keyboards and harmony vocals; Mindi saxophone and harmony vocals
4. “Misty Mountain Hop” (Led Zeppelin) Jamie lead vocals; Brett keyboards and harmony vocals
5. "She's So Cold" (Rolling Stones) Bernard Fowler lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Brett keyboards
6. “Hoochie Coochie Man” (Willie Dixon) Lukas Nelson lead vocals and guitar; Waddy slide guitar; Brett keyboards
7. "Pump It Up" (Elvis Costello) Keith Allison lead vocals and rhythm guitar; Waddy harmony vocals; Brett keyboards
8. “Only You Know And I Know” (Dave Mason) Keith lead vocals and rhythm guitar; Jamie harmony vocals; Brett keyboards and harmony vocals
9. "Bitch" (The Rolling Stones) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Brett guitar and harmony vocals; Mindi saxophone and harmony vocals
10. “I Am The Walrus” (The Beatles) Brett lead vocals and keyboards; Waddy background vocals
1. “Live With Me” (The Rolling Stones) Waddy lead vocals; Bernard harmony vocals; Brett keyboards; Mindi Saxophone
2. "Down Payment Blues" (AC/DC) Bernard lead vocals; Brett guitar
3. “Ruby Tuesday” (The Rolling Stones) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals, Brett keyboards and harmony vocals
4. “Finishing Touches” (Warren Zevon) Waddy lead vocals; Jamie background vocals; Brett keyboards
5. “Love Hungry Man” (AC/DC) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Brett rhythm guitar and harmony vocals
6. “Further On Up the Road” (Robey, Veasey) Lukas lead vocals and guitar; Brett keyboards
7. “Oh Darling” (The Beatles) Brett lead vocals and keyboards; Waddy harmony vocals
8. “Honky Tonk Women" (The Rolling Stones) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Brett keyboards and harmony vocals; Mindi saxophone and harmony vocals
9. "C'Mon Everybody" (Eddie Cochran) Keith lead vocals and rhythm guitar; Waddy harmony vocals; Brett keyboards and harmony vocals; Mindi saxophone
10. “Just Like A Woman” (Bob Dylan) Waddy lead vocals; Brett keyboards
11. “Rockin’ In The Free World” (Neil Young) Bernard lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Brett rhythm guitar and harmony vocals; Jamie harmony vocals
Enough for now. Hope you were there with us and felt the FANTASTIC music. If not, please come join us next time.
Rockin’ love to all from WWB!!!!!
Here are the photos from the 1/28/11 WWB gig. I put them up in the order I took them. Click to enlarge.
| WWB May 2008 | WWB April 2008 | WWB March 2008 | WWB February 2008 | WWB January 2008 | WWB December 2007 | WWB November 2007 | WWB October 2007 | WWB September 2007 | WWB August 2007 | WWB July 2007 | WWB June 2007 | WWB May 2007 | WWB April 2007 | WWB January 2007 | WWB 2006 | WWB July 2008 | WWB August 2008 | WWB September 2008 | WWB November 2008 | WWB December 2008 | WWB January 2009 | WWB February 2009 | WWB March 2009 | WWB April 2009 | WWB June 2009 | WWB July 2009 | WWB August 2009 | WWB November 2009 | WWB December 2009 | WWB Guests | WWB January 2010 | WWB February 2010 | WWB March 2010 | WWB April 2010 | WWB May 2010 | WWB June 2010 | WWB February 2007 | WWB March 2007 | WWB July 2010 | WWB September 2010 | WWB October 2010 | WWB November 2010 | WWB December 2010 | WWB January 2011 | WWB February 2011 | WWB June 2011 | WWB July 2011 | WWB September 2011 | WWB October 2011 | WWB January 2012 | WWB February 2012 | WWB March 2012 | WWB May 2012 | WWB May 2012 2 | WWB June 2012 | WWB August 2012 | WWBOctober2012 | WWB November 2012 | WWBDecember2012 | WWBJanuary2013 | WWBFebruary2013 | WWBApril2013 | WWBApril26-2013 | WWBJune222013 | WWB August24 2013 | WWB October11 2013 | WWB November16 2013 | WWBNovember302013 | WWBDecember212013 | WWBJanuary252014 | WWBMarch292014 | WWBAugust22014 | WWBSeptember192014 | WWBJanuary102015 |
| Special Guests Page 1 | Waddy Wachtel Band Reviews and News | About the Waddy Wachtel Band | Waddy Wachtel Band Videos | Brett Tuggle | Keith Allison | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2009 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2010 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2011 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2012 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2013 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2014 |
| Return Home | Discography / Credits / Gigs / Songs | Articles / Interviews | Photos / Videos | Contact | Waddy Wachtel Band | Search | Mailing List |