/ Credits / Gigs / Songs
Reviews and News - April 26, 2013
Note from Nina:
The Waddy Wachtel Band packed The Joint in Los Angeles to full capacity Friday night, April 26, 2013. The place was filled with eager rock 'n' rollers - some knowing how great the show was going to be, and others who hadn't seen WWB before. All were totally rockingly delighted!
The first thing I want to say about the gig is to echo something Jamie Savko said before the last song of the night: How great it was to be up there with this amazing band. Yes, great for all of us who were there too! It was really nice to have Phil Jones and Rick Rosas back. Phil, Rick and Waddy Wachtel....... Powerhouse!
Full Force Forward all night!!!!!!
Jamie got us going with his remarkably versatile lead vocals on the first two songs - "Substitute" and "Girl's Got Rhythm" backed by the Powerhouse (Waddy, Phil and Rick). Ron Dziubla joined them on guitar for "Girl's Got Rhythm." Not only the girls, but the dudes all got rhythm from that.
Then Bernard Fowler got us going with "Going to a Go-Go." Going, going, going- but not gone. Well, we were goners - gone wild for Bernard! The Stones are lucky to have him as a backup singer, but we're even luckier to get his lead vocals.
Between Jamie's great vocals on "Bitch" we got to hear great solos by Waddy on guitar, Ron on sax and Blondie on guitar. All pros!
Then we definitely couldn't let go when Bernard sang the sweet rockin' Hollies tune "I Can't Let Go" with perfect harmonies by Waddy and Jamie. No one would want to let go.
Blondie Chaplin took the honors of center stage to sing Warren Zevon's "Lawyers, Guns and Money." Blondie puts so much emotion and excitement into every tune he sings, and he and Waddy would've made Warren smile big time!
Who's that adorable and talented young dude who came on stage next? Lukas Autry Nelson! Lukas is the son of Willie Nelson, and he and his brother Micah have their own band and are rockin' audiences. Lukas sang lead vocals on the JJ Cale song "They Call Me the Breeze" and he and Waddy played fantastic guitar off each other. A very special treat!
Another great singer - Jason Sinay - got up there next and created some thunder with his performance of Neil Young's "Like a Hurricane." We all were feeling the storm! Jason has his own band called Ape that also includes Phil on drums and Rick on bass. It's always nice to have Jason come and join us.
Another great singer? Yup! Keith Allison ambled up on stage - the Southern gentleman rocker that he is - and got everyone singing along to a song he originally performed with Paul Revere and the Raiders "Just Like Me." There's no one just like Keith. He's special, and got us all feeling special too on his next song "Somethin' Else." Yes, he is - and we were glad to be movin' along with him.
Ending the first set, Bernard told us what we already knew when he sang the Stones' "You Got Me Rockin'." Were we rockin'? No doubt about it!
It was great having so many fantastic vocalists on that stage, and it continued into the second set. Funny..... Waddy said he felt like Ed Sullivan introducing all of them. But, I don't think there was one Ed Sullivan show that had so much talent on it. Lucky us!
After their usual "short" break, WWB came back Full Force for a second set that was as spectacular as the first. I've listed the songs below in the set list. Maybe I've already written more than you can read through? Just imagine (if you weren't there) all of those songs being blasted by the incredible Waddy, Phil and Rick - joined by those incredible singers - performing each song with exhilarating energy. Amazing guitar by our wonderful Waddy! Woweeee zoweeee! If you were there, I know you'd agree with me.
On all songs:
Waddy Wachtel - Lead Guitar
Rick Rosas - Bass
Phil Jones - Drums
1. “Substitute” (The Who) Jamie Savko lead vocals; Waddy Wachtel harmony vocals
2. "Girl's Got Rhythm" (AC/DC) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Ron Dziubla guitar
3. “Going to a Go-Go" (The Miracles) Bernard Fowler lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Blondie Chaplin harmony vocals; Ron saxophone
4. "Bitch" (The Rolling Stones) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Blondie guitar and harmony vocals; Ron saxophone
5. "I Can't Let Go" (The Hollies) Bernard lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Jamie harmony vocals
6. "Lawyers Guns and Money" (Warren Zevon) Blondie lead vocals; Ron guitar
7. "They Call Me the Breeze" (JJ Cale) Lukas Autry Nelson lead vocals and guitar
8. "Like A Hurricane" (Neil Young) Jason Sinay lead vocals and guitar; Waddy harmony vocals
9. “Just Like Me” (Paul Revere and the Raiders) Keith Allison lead vocals and guitar; Waddy harmony vocals; Ron saxophone
10. “Somethin' Else” (Eddie Cochran) Keith lead vocals and rhythm guitar; Waddy harmony vocals; Ron saxophone
11. "You Got Me Rockin'" (Rolling Stones) Bernard lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals and slide guitar; Blondie harmony vocals
1. “Heroes" (David Bowie) Bernard lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Ron saxophone
2. "Said I Wasn't Gonna Tell Nobody" (Isaac Hayes, David Porter [recorded by Sam and Dave]) Bernard and Blondie lead harmony vocals; Ron saxophone
3. "Highway To Hell" (AC/DC) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Ron guitar
4. “Itchycoo Park” (Small Faces) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Ron guitar and harmony vocals
5. “Live With Me” (The Rolling Stones) Waddy lead vocals; Jamie harmony vocals; Ron saxophone
6. “A Change Is Gonna Come” (Sam Cooke) Blondie lead vocals and guitar
7. "Cortez the Killer" (Neil Young) Lukas lead vocals and guitar
8. “Love Hungry Man” (AC/DC) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Ron guitar
9. "Pump It Up" (Elvis Costello) Keith lead vocals and guitar; Waddy harmony vocals
10. “Honky Tonk Women" (The Rolling Stones) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Blondie harmony vocals; Keith guitar; Ron saxophone
11. "Sin City" (AC/DC) Jamie lead vocals
Thank all of you delightful rockers for coming to the gig and rockin' with us. Waddy says: "Thank you all for being here with us! Keep rockin'. You know we will."
I'll let you know as soon as the next WWB gig is confirmed. I know you'll want to be there.
Big thanks to the guys behind the scenes who help make these shows run smoothly: John Philbrick, Charlie Wood, Mark Nathanson, Charlie McIntosh and Robi Banerji.
And of course big thanks to the folks at The Joint who make our experience there so delightful. Ondrea, Fernando, the bartenders, waitresses, security dudes and ice bucket toters.
Oh........ I almost forgot. May marks the beginning of the 14th year WWB has been giving us these great shows here in Los Angeles. And we'll keep going!
See you next time!!!!!!
Photos by Robert Bruns........
| WWB May 2008 | WWB April 2008 | WWB March 2008 | WWB February 2008 | WWB January 2008 | WWB December 2007 | WWB November 2007 | WWB October 2007 | WWB September 2007 | WWB August 2007 | WWB July 2007 | WWB June 2007 | WWB May 2007 | WWB April 2007 | WWB January 2007 | WWB 2006 | WWB July 2008 | WWB August 2008 | WWB September 2008 | WWB November 2008 | WWB December 2008 | WWB January 2009 | WWB February 2009 | WWB March 2009 | WWB April 2009 | WWB June 2009 | WWB July 2009 | WWB August 2009 | WWB November 2009 | WWB December 2009 | WWB Guests | WWB January 2010 | WWB February 2010 | WWB March 2010 | WWB April 2010 | WWB May 2010 | WWB June 2010 | WWB February 2007 | WWB March 2007 | WWB July 2010 | WWB September 2010 | WWB October 2010 | WWB November 2010 | WWB December 2010 | WWB January 2011 | WWB February 2011 | WWB June 2011 | WWB July 2011 | WWB September 2011 | WWB October 2011 | WWB January 2012 | WWB February 2012 | WWB March 2012 | WWB May 2012 | WWB May 2012 2 | WWB June 2012 | WWB August 2012 | WWBOctober2012 | WWB November 2012 | WWBDecember2012 | WWBJanuary2013 | WWBFebruary2013 | WWBApril2013 | WWBApril26-2013 | WWBJune222013 | WWB August24 2013 | WWB October11 2013 | WWB November16 2013 | WWBNovember302013 | WWBDecember212013 | WWBJanuary252014 | WWBMarch292014 | WWBAugust22014 | WWBSeptember192014 | WWBJanuary102015 |
| Special Guests Page 1 | Waddy Wachtel Band Reviews and News | About the Waddy Wachtel Band | Waddy Wachtel Band Videos | Brett Tuggle | Keith Allison | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2009 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2010 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2011 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2012 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2013 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2014 |
| Return Home | Discography / Credits / Gigs / Songs | Articles / Interviews | Photos / Videos | Contact | Waddy Wachtel Band | Search | Mailing List |